There isn't one ‘right product’; The perfect water filter for backpacking varies from person to person. In this article, after going through intensive research, we have gathered all the strengths and weaknesses and general know-how of the best ones available.
Additionally, we made sure you got all the valuable information you need. You will also get to know about the different brands out there and what they offer. We can assure you that you will find a water filter for backpacking that best suits you.
So without any further ado, let’s get started!
Best water filter for backpacking Reviews in 2022
- Lightweight, Easy To Use Portable Water Filter Removes Harmful Bacteria, Protozoa, Cysts, Sediment, And 100% Of Microplastics; Perfect For Outdoor Adventures, Travel, Or Emergency Preparedness
- High-Performance 0.1 Micron Absolute Inline Filter Fits In The Palm Of Your Hand And Weighs Just 2 Ounces; 100% Of Micro Squeeze Units Individually Tested Three Times To Performance Standards By Sawyer
- Built-In And Removable Flip Top Sports Cap; Spray Water Straight Into Mouth Or Bottle From Included Pouch; Also Fits Standard Water Bottles With 28 Mm Threads
- Includes Two Reusable 32-Oz, Bpa-Free Collapsible Pouches That Roll Up Tightly For Easy Packing, Drinking Straw, One Set Of Sawyer Inline Hydration Pack Adapters For Filter, And Mesh Storage Bag
- 0.1 micron water filter removes harmful organisms like bacteria 99.9999% and protozoa like Giardia & Cryptosporidium 99.9%, surpassing EPA standards
- Collapsible 1.0L hydrapak soft bottle flask packs down small to fit in tight spaces (jacket pockets, purses, backpack, fly vests)
- Ez-clean Membrane is simple and easy to clean by simply shaking or swishing the filter to clean debris, no backflushing or extra tools required
- Filters up to 1, 000 liters of contaminated water without using chemicals or other devices and hydrate quickly and easily with the free flow channels fast flow rate
- Stay clean drink nozzle keeps the mouthpiece clean and sanitary (replaceable with standard plastic water bottle caps)
- Proven protection against bacteria and protozoan cysts down to 0.2 micron with pleated glass-fiber filter media
- Activated carbon in the core of the filter improves the taste and reduces chemicals in your drinking water
- The field cleanable filter protector screen extends the life of the cartridge in challenging conditions
- Long-time trusted option for backpackers with it's ultra-light 11oz, compact size and compatibility with hydration bladders
- Transparent design allows you to see the filtration working
- Removes bacteria & parasites: The microfiltration membrane removes 99.999999% of waterborne bacteria (including E. coli and salmonella), and 99.999% of waterborne parasites (including giardia and cryptosporidium)
- Removes microplastics: Removes the smallest microplastics found in the environment (down to 1 micron), and reduces turbidity down to 0.2 microns
- Rigorous Testing: All claims are verified with laboratories using standard testing protocols set by the US EPA, NSF, ASTM for water purifiers
- Long Lifetime: The microbiological filter will provide 4,000 liters (1,000 gallons) of clean and safe drinking water with proper use and maintenance
- Make an Impact: For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe drinking water for an entire school year.BPA Free materials
- Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and International travel, and emergency preparedness
- High-performance 0.1 Micron absolute inline filter fits in the palm of your hand and weighs just 2 ounces; 100% of MINI units individually tested three times to performance standards by Sawyer
- Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable water bottles, hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source
- Removes 99.99999% of all bacteria (salmonella, cholera, and E. coli); removes 99.9999% of all protozoa (such as giardia and cryptosporidium); also removes 100% of microplastics
- Filter rated up to 100,000 gallons; Includes one Sawyer MINI filter, 16-ounce reusable squeeze pouch, 7-inch drinking straw, and cleaning plunger
- Pocket water filter designed four outdoor enthusiasts and international travelers
- Filter's silver-impregnated ceramic element is effective against bacteria and protozoa
- Filters all microorganisms larger than 0.2 microns to produce clear, drinkable water
- Round pump handle for easy pumping; outlet hose attaches to containers with clip
- Microfilter water filter pump for hiking, backpacking, camping, travel, survival, and emergency preparedness
- Replaceable carbon and ceramic filter removes bacteria, protozoa, organic compounds, and particulate, delivering clean, taste and odor-free water
- Pumps at a rate of one liter per minute; compatible with a variety of wide mouth water bottles, and hydration bladders (sold separately)
- Meets NSF protocol P231 for removal of bacteria (99.9999%) and protozoa (99.9%); one replaceable filter cartridge treats up to 2,000 liters of water
- Pump measures 7.5 x 2.75 inches and weighs 1 pound; storage bag included; manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty; made in the USA
- High-capacity, gravity-fed, hollow-fiber water filter system is ideal for group and family camping, outdoor adventures, and emergency preparedness
- Meets all EPA/NSF guidelines for removal of 99.9999% of bacteria and 99.9% of protozoa, including giardia, cryptosporidium, E. coli, salmonella, cholera
- No pumping required; reservoir fills easily and hangs from a tree to deliver four liters of filtered water for cooking and washing in 2.5 minutes
- Includes 4-liter dirty water reservoir, 4-liter clean water reservoir, hollow-fiber microfilter, hoses, shutoff clamp, and storage sack
- Replaceable cartridge filters up to 1,500 gallons; produces flow rate of 1.75 liters/minute; kit weights 11.5 ounces; made in the USA
- Easy-to-use design is great for the beginning camper to the serious backpacker
- The 0.2 micron glassfiber filter media is designed for high output with little effort
- Activated carbon in the core of the filter improves the taste and reduces chemicals in your drinking water
- Provides safe drinking water in any challenging conditions
- Lowest maintenance water filter available; no need for constant backflushing
- 0.1 micron water filter removes harmful organisms like bacteria 99.9999% and protozoa like giardia & cryptosporidium 99.9%, surpassing epa standards
- filters up to 1,000 liters of contaminated water without using chemicals or other devices
- hydrate quickly and easily with the free flow channels fast flow rate up to 2l per minute
- simple and easy to clean by simply shaking or swishing the filter to clean
- made in switzerland
Buying Best water filter for backpacking: Factors to Consider!
We composed this buying guide, including several factors that are crucial to choosing the right water filter for backpacking for your needs. Though all the elements might not have the same importance, you should consider them all before making the buying decision.
Every new model coming out these days tend to have a stunning design in terms of shape, color, etc. This is an important physical property of the product, and you must consider its design to make the water filter for backpacking fit your dreams.
Check whether the minimalist design of the product goes with your taste. You can also visualize how the product will look when placed in your house or office. The color of the water filter for backpacking should match your existing interior setup to bring a seamless look.
Features and Performance
Those intriguing features organized in bullet points should not be the main reason you buy the water filter for backpacking. Instead, you should have a clear understanding of what features are there and how they improve the performance of the product.
You should have a smooth user experience with the water filter for backpacking, regardless of its quantity of features. And all features should make sense when it comes to your needs.
Many consumers ignore this factor completely when choosing a good water filter for backpacking. The price of the model should be affordable in the first place. And there should be no hidden cost for setting up the water filter for backpacking or buying additional components. Only then will it be a good value for money product.
You can calculate the average cost-to-performance ratio of the top products in the market. It will give you a clear idea of which water filter for backpacking is the most beneficial for you. And try to make sure the best water filter for backpacking has all the features you need.
Maintenance and Durability
Regardless of the brand or material, the water filter for backpacking will require a decent amount of maintenance down the road. You should have a clear idea of what care the it will need throughout its service life. This way, it becomes easier for you to prepare for upcoming maintenance.
And the water filter for backpacking should be reasonably durable considering the price. Factors like high-quality material and decent build quality are a must when you want the best product within your budget.
After Sales Service
Getting a mid-level water filter for backpacking from a brand that has a good reputation in after-sales service is way better than buying a high-end water filter for backpacking from brands with poor after-sales service. It should be easy to reach the dealership or service center in case any issues arise with the product after the purchase.
The honesty of the brand regarding this factor should be emphasized.
You should not go for a highly cheap water filter for backpacking that pretends to be durable and feature-packed. Cheap products are often baits to cut your pocket. It will be wise to choose a water filter for backpacking with decent features in the mid-budget range so that it continues to perform well throughout the service life.
High-end options may offer great features and benefits, and there are no issues in buying one when you have no limits on your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
This section can be accommodating if you are still in confusion about buying water filter for backpacking. Check the answers to some frequently asked questions about the [keyword 1].
Does the brand value affect the overall quality of water filter for backpacking?
Of course. Considering the brand is vital to ensure the water filter for backpacking comes with the best-in-class features. You will also get the best after-sales service from renowned brands as they emphasize on sustaining in the industry with goodwill.
Is there any instruction manual with water filter for backpacking?
The water filter for backpacking should have an instruction manual containing all the care and maintenance instructions. It ensures the water filter for backpacking is used in the right way, guided by the manufacturer. You can directly ask the manufacturer to know if there is an instruction manual with the water filter for backpacking.
Does it take time to be familiar with water filter for backpacking?
It should not take much time to start using. You should have a quick start guide in the packaging, which will tell how you to set up the water filter for backpacking and start using it.
Considering too many features may be overwhelming. But it is vital to get your hands on the best water filter for backpacking. These factors will ensure you get the desired performance from the water filter for backpacking without spending too much. As now you know these factors, eliminating bad options will be a lot easier.
Let us recap things once more. You should always choose a good product from a reliable brand. The product should have a decent build quality considering the price. And it should deliver the features and performance you expect.